Report of the 5th Eurisol User Group Topical Meeting, July 15-17, 2014.

October 30, 2014 on 5:25 pm | In Conferences, Eurisol user group news, Physics and Instrumentation, User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

The 5th Eurisol User Group Topical Meeting, on “Innovative Instrumentation for EURISOL”, was held at The Ron Cooke Hub, Heslington East Campus, University of York, York, UK, 15-17 July 2014. The report is now available at http://www.df.unipi.it/~angela/York_toppage.pdf

The slides of the talks are also available at http://www.df.unipi.it/~angela/York_jul14.zip.

Report of the 4th Eurisol User Group Topical Meeting, July 1-3, 2013.

July 5, 2014 on 4:50 pm | In Conferences, Eurisol user group news, Physics and Instrumentation, User Executive Committee, User Group | 1 Comment

The 4th Eurisol User Group Topical Meeting, on “Going to the limits of mass, temperature, spin and isospin with heavy Radioactive Ion Beams”, was held at the Aula of Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences, Krakow, Poland, July 1-3, 2013. The report is now available at http://www.df.unipi.it/~angela/eurisol_krakow.zip

5th EURISOL Topical Meeting 2014 “Innovative Instrumentation for EURISOL”

December 20, 2013 on 1:53 pm | In Conferences, Eurisol user group news, Physics and Instrumentation, User Executive Committee, User Group | 1 Comment

The EURISOL User Executive Committee and Project Office - supported by the
EURISOL-NETWORK of the ENSAR contract - will hold the 5th EURISOL Topical
Meeting 2014 “Innovative Instrumentation for EURISOL” that will take place at the University of York, United Kingdom, from 15th -17th July , 2014.

Some of the topics of the meeting include (but not limited to) :
a possible storage ring for EURISOL, electron scattering from RIBs (SCRIT@RIKEN or ELISe@FAIR), polarized targets and/or beams, slowing down or post-acceleration of RIBs, laser spectroscopy with RIBs. Relevant detection and separation techniques will also be discussed.

More information will be given in the 1st Circular to be distributed in the middle of January 2014.

Contact information:
Queries can be made by e-mail to the
Meeting chair Prof. Andrei Andreyev at andrei.Andreyev@york.ac.uk or to the EURISOL UEC chair Dr. Angela Bonaccorso bonac@df.unipi.it

Please circulate this information among your colleagues who may be interested in
participation.

We look forward to seeing you in York.

On behalf of the Advisory and Organizing Committees,
Andrei Andreyev and Angela Bonaccorso

1st Circular: EURISOL WEEK, Lisbon 15-18 October 2012

June 20, 2012 on 6:40 pm | In Conferences, Eurisol user group news, User Executive Committee, User Group | 1 Comment

1st Circular: EURISOL WEEK
EURISOL-NET 3rd Topical Meeting on “Physics of light exotic nuclei” and EURISOL Town Meeting

The EURISOL User Executive Committee and Project Office — supported by the EURISOL-NETWORK of the ENSAR contract — will hold the 3rd EURISOL Topical Meeting on the Physics of light exotic nuclei and a Town Meeting in Lisbon, Portugal, from 15th to 18th October, 2012, hosted by the IST, Lisbon and chaired by Prof. Lidia Ferreira. Some EURISOL Committee and Project Meetings will take place on the 19th of October. These Topical and Town Meetings will be an opportunity for an exchange of ideas and information between participants of EURISOL and the community at large. They will also provide a forum for discussing the proposed EURISOL Collaboration, to be set up with the objective of continuing R&D and ensuring the future of the EURISOL project.
The aim of the EURISOL topical meetings is to discuss the various facets of contemporary nuclear physics relevant for the design and planning of the future Eurisol facility. The Lisbon Topical Meeting is the third in the series after those held in Catania and Valencia devoted to “The formation and structure of r-process nuclei, between N= 50 and 82” http://agenda.ct.infn.it/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=236 , and “Neutron deficient exotic nuclei and the Physics of the “proton rich side” of the nuclear chart”, http://ific.uv.es/~eug-valencia , respectively.
The Topical Meeting will take place from Monday Oct. 15 at 14:00 to Wednesday October 17 at 12:30. It will focus on the following subjects relevant for light exotic nuclei (up to Nickel):
Halo and dripline nuclei
Shell structure
Clusterization
Reaction mechanisms
Theoretical developments: Ab initio model, Cluster models, Molecular dynamics, Green function techniques, Shell Model, Reaction theory.
Nuclear astrophysics
Experimental developments and future instrumentation

The Town Meeting will take place from Wednesday Oct. 17 at 14:00 to Thursday October 18 at 18:00. It will review the progress of EURISOL related initiatives since the end of the Design Study and provide a forum to discuss the path towards the realization of the facility. Topics will include:

Updating the Physics and instrumentation case for EURISOL
Targets and Ion sources
Accelerators
Beam manipulation
Safety issues
Synergies with other facilities
Next steps towards EURISOL
Venue: The Town Meeting will be held in the auditorium of the IST-Lisbon. Invited presentations will take place during the two meetings. Oral contributions will be accepted for the Topical Meeting while during the Town Meeting a poster session, together with refreshments will be held. All registered participants will be invited to a conference dinner on Wednesday evening.
Registration: Please register on-line via the Meeting Web page: http://cfif.ist.utl.pt/~eurisol/ . The meeting is supported by EURISOL-NET. There is no registration fee and all coffee breaks and the conference dinner are offered.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
20th July 2012
DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION
15th September 2012

Call for Abstracts: Abstracts are invited on subjects of relevance to Topical Meeting (physics of light exotic nuclei) and of the Town Meeting (Physics and Instrumentation for EURISOL, Targets and Ion sources, Accelerators, Beam manipulation, safety issues). All contributed presentations to the Town Meeting will be POSTERS. Oral contributions will be instead selected for the Topical Meeting. Abstracts should be submitted on-line where the registration is also possible at http://cfif.ist.utl.pt/~eurisol/.
Financial Support: Students or Post-docs who submit a contribution may apply for partial financial support, by ticking the relevant box on their registration forms. Support will consist of a per diem of 100 Euros per night in Lisbon, up to a maximum of 4 nights. The number of persons who can receive support will be limited by the available financial resources. Applicants will be informed of acceptance (or rejection) soon after the contributions will be selected (end of July).
Accommodation: A list of hotels in Lisbon is available at http://cfif.ist.utl.pt/~eurisol/. A number of rooms will be pre-booked at various hotels and attendees should then make their own hotel reservations. More information will be given in the second circular.
Contact information: Queries can be made by e-mail to the Meeting chair Prof. Lidia Ferreira at
flidia@ist.utl.pt or to the Eurisol UEC chair Dr. Angela Bonaccorso bonac@df.unipi.it .
We look forward to seeing you in Lisbon.

Lidia Ferreira (Meeting chair) and the EURISOL User Executive Committee and Project Office.

EURISOL Town Meeting and Topical Meeting 2012

October 19, 2011 on 9:56 am | In Conferences, Eurisol user group news, Physics and Instrumentation, User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

This is to announce that the next EURISOL week will take place in Lisbon, Portugal from Oct 15 to 19, 2012. It will consist in a Topical Meeting on “Physics of Light Exotic Nuclei” from Monday 15/10 afternoon to Wednesday 17/10 morning followed by a Town Meeting from Wednesday noon until Thursday 18/10 late afternoon presenting an overview of the current scientific and technical activities related to EURISOL. The Friday morning will be devoted to various committee and project meetings.

Detailed information will be sent in due time but please already mark your calendar with these important dates.

The EURISOL week is jointly organized by the EURISOL Project Office, The EURISOL-NET network (ENSAR activity) and the EURISOL User Group and is chaired by Lidia Ferreira (U. of Lisbon).

Minutes of the Valencia UEC meeting, 21-2-2011.

June 23, 2011 on 4:48 pm | In User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

Minutes of UEC meeting at Astoria Hotel, Valencia, Spain, 21-2-2011, 20:30h-22:30h

Present: D. Ackermann, B. Blank, Y. Blumenfeld (invited), A. Bonaccorso, L. Ferreira, H. Fynbo, A. Jokinen, M. Lewitowicz, A. Maj, B. Rubio (invited). Excused: P. Regan.

Berta Rubio, Yorick Blumenfeld and Angela Bonaccorso comment on the first day of the meeting: all is going well with lot of discussions. The program is very dense but the subject is also quite wide. A number of people could not be accepted for talks because they did not understand the way the INDICO system works, disconnecting registration from abstracts. There is discussion on the drawbacks of INDICO compared to other conference website systems like the one at GANIL, or other homemade systems. Berta leaves at 21:15h because of an interview commitment.

Proposals for the 2012 Town Meeting and topical Meeting:

Lidia Ferreira proposes Lisbon and as subject of the topical meeting there is a general consensus on light nuclei (i.e everything below fission fragments, few body, clustering). Yorick reports on a proposal from the director of the IPN to hold the 2012 meeting at Orsay. Dieter and Marek suggest to have one of the next meetings on SHE. They report on a SHE meeting which is planned for next year within the ENSAR network activity (NA) ECOS Task 2 “Synergies in Super Heavy Element Research”. It might be possible to combine the topical meeting within the ENSAR framework with the activity of the ECOS network which has a workpackage on SHE. There are various comments on past SHE activities and related meetings. Adam Maj suggests to hold the 2013 topical meeting in Poland. Ari informs that also Jyväskylä would be ready to organize a topical meeting in 2013 on the SHE subject which would be quite appropriate for them. It is decided that these various places will come to the next UEC meeting with more definite proposals. On that occasion the final choice will be made. There is a discussion on which location in Orsay could be used for the meeting (the LAL?) and on the fact that Orsay does not have good hotels. Marek informs that GANIL would probably like to host the final 2014 meetings. At this stage it is clear that there cannot be two meetings in France. It is decided that Orsay and GANIL will negotiate between themselves and propose a joint organization for the 2014 meeting.

Then the dates are discussed for the next Topical Meeting. Yorick proposes the first half of 2012. It is said that in Lisbon also early Autumn could be nice. The important thing is to avoid periods with a lot of other conferences.
There is a discussion on the financial support which is needed to organize each meeting and on the complications certain countries have in spending the money from the EC. CERN, France and Finland instead deal easily with money. It has to be checked if the original ENSAR contract contains already exact percentages of each item on which money can be spent (consumable, domestic travel, international travel…etc) (At the date of publication of these minutes we know that the answer is YES).

The 2012 topical meeting would be combined with a town meeting. Yorick says that one and a half day for the Town Meeting should be enough. There would be a physics talk presenting a summary of the previous two Town Meetings, a talk on the technical advances, R&D, and one on the beginning of work under the NuPNET contract and TIARA, a talk on related facilities like ESS, MYRRHA and high power targets.
It is also mentioned that at some stage in a couple of years Isolde, GANIL and GSI will probably stop beam time for about one year at the same time and there will be problems spending the transnational access money.

Advertise various ENSAR activities via webpage once that is properly set up and permissions from the EU granted.

Next meeting probably during ARIS2011 in Luven.

Second Announcement of the 2nd Eurisol topical meeting in Valencia

December 19, 2010 on 7:56 pm | In Conferences, User Group | No Comments

On February 21st to 23rd 2011 the second Eurisol topical meeting will take place in Valencia. It is organised by the Eurisol User Group. The topic this time is “Neutron deficient exotic nuclei and the Physics of the “proton rich side” of the nuclear chart”. It follows the Catania meeting on “The formation and structure of r-process nuclei, between N=50 and 82” celebrated last year.

As you probably know, the aim of our group is to promote activities in order to keep the discussions on the physics at the future Eurisol facility continuously active and updated.
A number of people have already confirmed their participation covering a number of topics that we have considered essential. In addition, your experience at present or future short term facilities, as well as theoretical modelling related to nuclei “left from the valley of stability” will be an important input to the discussion and undoubtedly to the development of Eurisol.

All the information can be found in the web page
http://ific.uv.es/~eug-valencia

The meeting will be held in Colegio Mayor Rector Peset (http://www.uv.es/cmrpeset)
right in the centre of the old city of Valencia. Valencia is an attractive city that combines ancient history with modern life. In winter it has a mild weather due to the vicinity of the Mediterranean Sea.

At 10 minutes walking distance from the meeting place we have blocked a number of rooms in the four star hotel Astoria Palace at the very reduced price of 65.97 euros €/night (single room).
(information about the hotel can be found in http://www.hotelastoriapalace.com)
Please do your own reservation as soon as possible.
sending a mail to astoriapalace@ayrehoteles.com with the label “Eurisol meeting” in the subject.

We strongly encourage participation of students and postdocs. In order to have an idea about the attendance to the meeting we would like also to ask you to register via the web-page.

If you want to contribute to the meeting with a presentation please send a one page abstract to the meeting email address eug-valencia@ific.uv.es before December the 18.

Looking forward to welcoming you in Valencia

Berta Rubio
On behalf of the organizing and advisory committee:

Dieter Ackermann
Bertram Blank
Angela Bonaccorso
Yorick Blumenfeld
Giacomo De Angelis
Lidia Ferreira
Hans Fynbo
Ari Jokinen
Marek Lewitowicz
Adam Maj
Paddy Regan
Berta Rubio (Chair)

Scientific secretary Maria José Gracia (eug-valencia@ific.uv.es)
Tecnical support Carlos García

Elections of four new members of the UEC

July 18, 2010 on 5:49 pm | In User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

The elections for replacing four members of the UEC have taken place in the period 21-28 May 2010. Candidates were the current members of the UEC plus

Adam Maj (PL)
Andrei Andreyev (GB)
Christian Forssen (S)
Daniel Napoli (I)
Dave Jenkins (GB)
Feisal Azaies (F)
Giacomo Cuttone (I)
Gilles de France (F)
Hans Fynbo (DK)
Lidia Ferreira (P)
Luis Mario Fraile (E)
Marc Labiche (GB)
Marco Cinausero (I)
Marek Ploszajczak (F)
Maria Colonna (I)
Michael Block (D)
Paddy Regan (GB)
Sara Pirrone (I)
Valentina Ricciardi (D)

The results were checked by the “electoral commission” composed by Yorick Blumenfeld and Alberto Facco for the Eurisol Office, Juha Äystö for the former Eurisol DS steering committee and Angela Bonaccorso for the Eurisol UG.

There were 187 voters and the new UEC is composed by

Dieter Ackermann (D)
Bertram Blank (F)
Angela Bonaccorso (I)
Lidia Ferreira (P)
Hans Fynbo (DK)
Ari Jokinen (FIN)
Marek Lewitowicz (F)
Adam Maj (PL)
Paddy Regan (GB)

Special thanks go to Giacomo De Angelis, Rober Page, Berta Rubio and Michael Thoennessen for their enthusiasm and work done in the past two years within the UEC. We are sure they will continue to support the Eurisol project, I particular Berta and Giacomo are already involved in the organization of the next topical meeting on “Neutron deficient exotic nuclei and the Physics of the “proton rich side” of the nuclear chart” which will be held next spring in Valencia (date tba). The present organizing committee is composed by B. Rubio, rubio@ific.uv.es (Chair), D. Ackermann, B. Blank, A. Bonaccorso, G. de Angelis, A. Jokinen.

The next UEC meeting is fixed at CERN during the Isolde workshop (8-10Dec) and in that occasion the new Chair and Vice-Chair of the UG will be elected.

Minutes of the UEC Meeting, Madrid, June 1st 2010.

July 18, 2010 on 5:26 pm | In User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

Present: Dieter Ackermann, Bertram Blank, Yorick Blumenfeldt (invited), Angela Bonaccorso, Giacomo de Angelis, Ari Jokinen, Marek Lewitowicz, Berta Rubio, Michael Thoennesen

Apologies: Robert Page

1. The first topical meeting in Catania
A. Bonaccorso announced that the report of the first topical meeting is almost finished. In a following discussion, some guidelines, based on an experience from Catania workshop, were collected to help the next organizer of the topical workshop. It was concluded that some kind of template or common instructions should be given for contributors. In addition, a strict deadline should be given and followed to avoid any delay. It was also reminded that the physics report is one of the deliverables of the EURISOL network in ENSAR (EU-FP7), see later in these minutes. Thus, a collection of the reports from topical workshops would also serve EURISOL network. It was agreed that Catania report won’t be printed, but it will become available electronically. Slides of the workshop are already available. The content of the report was also discussed. A general opinion was that the report should not contain political statements, but concentrate on physics update. Future requirements won’t be collected but they are included in individual contributions.

2. Next topical meeting.
First it was noted that ARIS will be organized in Leuven on 30.5.-3.6.2011 and the next PROCON is planned in Bordeaux on 6.-10.6.2011. Thus May-June 2011 is not a favored period. It was proposed and agreed that Valencia on February-March 2011 would be an ideal time and place. Berta Rubio will chair the workshop with help from Angela, Ari, Bertram, Dieter and Giacomo. An actual date will be communicated by Doodle. The workshop could be organized in the middle of the city. To minimize extra costs, it was agreed that no lunches or invited lecturers will be supported. It was also noted that EURISOL network may provide a small (~3000 €) support for the organizers.

3. Results of UEC voting
Results were published and discussed. Despite of the reasonably good number of votes, it was thought that an additional reminder of voting should have been sent. It was also discussed long and detail, if all results, including votes, should be published. Finally, numbers were decided to be sent out only to candidates. The present UEC also noted with satisfaction that the new members will bring new countries to EURISOL community.

4. Next UEC meeting
Angela will stay as a chair until the next meeting, which should take place later this year. Few options to combine major meeting and the next UEC meeting were presented and in the end it was agreed that UEC meets next time in connection to ISOLDE Workshop, 8.-10.12.2010.

5. Reports on various projects linked to EURISOL UEC
5.1. EURISOL network in EU-FP7 I3 ENSAR will be funded by 105 k€. Main participants in the network are CERN, GANIL, IN2P3, INFN and JYFL. The work has been divided to two tasks: The first one, coordinated by Y. Kadi focuses on the current facilities and the second task, coordinated by A. Bonaccorso, concentrates on physics issues. Planned town meetings on 2012 and 2014 could be combined with EURISOL UG topical meetings. The final deliverable, a report on physics is scheduled in the months 44 of ENSAR. It is clear that it is of EURISOL UEC interest to help Angela in this work.
5.2. TIARA- a coordinated action on accelerator physics was presented. This rather wide spread and technically oriented project has two EURISOL related tasks. The progress of TIARA will be followed.
5.3. Eurisol collaboration project office is preparing a draft of MoU, which will be sent to possible candidates to join in Eurisol collaboration. The draft should also be sent to EURISOL UEC members.

Thanks to Ari Jokinen for writing these minutes.

Minutes of the UEC Meeting, LNS, Catania, 10-Dec-2009

January 25, 2010 on 12:50 pm | In User Executive Committee, User Group | 1 Comment

Present: Angela Bonaccorso, Yorick Blumenfeld (invited), Giacomo de Angelis, Ari Jokinen, Berta Rubio; Dieter Ackermann, Bertram Blank and Marek Lewitowicz via SKYPE connection.

1. Apologies: Michael Thoennessen, Robert Page.

2. Approval of the minutes of the previous UEC Meeting:
The minutes have been approved without changes. Thanks to Dieter Ackermann.

3. New election next spring:
According to the rules defined in the UEC Charter there is the need to replace 4 members of the UEC before the end of 2010 (two years after the first election). Different election mechanisms are discussed: B. Rubio and A. Jokinen propose to go for new elections only for the four candidates elected with the smallest number of votes in the previous election. A. Bonaccorso and G. de Angelis prefer to go to new elections for all members of the UEC. M. Lewitowicz proposes to held new elections with two separate lists, one including the present members and another with new comers suggested by the community. This proposal seems reasonable and after further discussion is accepted.
Action: A. Bonaccorso will send a request to the community before the end of the spring to propose new names for replacing four members.

4. Next topical meeting:
The UEC congratulates the organisers of the EURISOL topical meeting for the success of the initiative. Thanks to the hosting laboratory (LNS) for the support.
Proposed topics for the next topical meeting:
Physics with secondary fragmentation (Y. Blumenfeld).
Neutron deficient nuclei (A. Jokinen, G. de Angelis, B. Rubio).
Light nuclei (A. Bonaccorso).
As possible sites East Countries (green field), Spain or Finland are proposed.
In case the topic “Neutron deficient nuclei” would be preferred it is considered that overlap with the next Procon conference scheduled in 2010 must be avoided.
Action: B. Rubio and A. Jokinen will investigate the possibility of hosting the meeting and providing funds. The topic could (slightly) be modified according also to the suggestion of the hosting institution.

5. NuPECC LRP: Y. Blumenfeld has presented the Eurisol physics case to the previous meeting of the NuPECC LRP. The Draft of the LRP will be presented to the community in March 2010 and discussed in the town meeting organized in Madrid in May 2010. There is the need for upgrading the physics case and for linking it to the NuPECC LRP (G. de Angelis).
Action: A. Bonaccorso will lead upgrades of the EURISOL proposals and look for links with the NuPECC LRP. It is also decided to have the next UEC meeting during the LRP town meeting in Madrid.

6. EURISL Office: The Eurisol office has been instituted and it is composed of the following members: M. Lewitowicz, A. Facco, Y. Blumenfeld, P. Butler.

7. Other Issues: None

« Previous PageNext Page »

Unaable to connnect to MySQL