EURISOL TM, Pisa 2-4 July 2018

June 6, 2018 on 5:34 pm | In Beam Preparation, Conferences, Direct Target, Eurisol user group news, Fission Target, Heavy Ion Accelerator Design, Multi-MW Target Station, Physics and Instrumentation, SC Cavity Development, User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

The Town Meeting is planned to discuss and disseminate the recent progress, the on-going physics and instrumentation developments, and the specific needs and future plans of the EURISOL community, recently expressed also by the EURISOL Distributed Facility initiative.

The advancement of the EURISOL concept, with the long-term goal to build a dedicated facility, needs special attention and requires activities to help constantly update the scientific case, shape the community, and strengthen the synergies with other facilities. For these reasons within the ENSAR2 project, part of the European framework HORIZON 2020, a JRA - EURISOL work package exists and EURISOL networking activities are included in the NUSPRASEN network.

The meeting will consist of invited talks and contributed posters and a round table.
The webpage of the conference is Pisa EURISOL Town Meeting. where you can also find the final Programme.

The EURISOL Town Meeting report constitutes one of the Deliverables of the WP2 NUSPRASEN of ENSAR2. For this reason, speakers and presenters of posters will be asked to provide a short account of their presentations (4 and 2 pages respectively).

The registration deadline is June 25th 2018. There is no registration fee.
The poster abstract submission deadline is June 22nd 2018 and acceptance will be notified by June 24th. Thanks to a recent local financial support we are able to offer a number of grants up to 500euro each. They are for young participants presenting a poster dealing with the Physics and Instrumentation at any ISOL facility. Applications via email to bonac@df.unipi.it

The meeting location is
INFN - Pisa
Bldg. C - ground floor. Room: Aula 131

We expect to have very interesting and lively discussions on EURISOL and particularly on the EURISOL DF project and are looking forward to welcoming you in Pisa,

Yorick Blumenfeld, Angela Bonaccorso, Berta Rubio, Marek Lewitowicz (chairs of the meeting)

Minutes EUC meeting Nov 29th 2017

February 12, 2018 on 6:51 pm | In User Executive Committee | No Comments

Minutes of the meeting of the Eurisol Users Executive Committee at IFIC
Videoconference November the 29th 2017

10.00 to 11.30

Participants:

Giacomo de Angelis
Didier Beaumel
Angela Bonaccorso (observer)
Maria Borge
Lidia Ferreira
Adam Maj
Riccardo Raabe
Berta Rubio

Apologies
Iain Moore and Haik Simon

Agenda
1.Approval of the minutes of our last meeting in Valencia.
The minutes were approved

2. Summary of the Lisbon meeting (a) and the SC meeting in Lisbon (b).
(a) The Lisbon meeting was a success, the committee congratulates LF for the smooth running of the meeting. The speakers were well prepared and focussed their talks on the Eurisol DF scenario.
(b) Main points (for the UEC) of the SC discussion.
• There is a writing group for the Eurisol DF case composed of Yorick Blumenfeld, Marek Lewitowicz and BR. The idea is to write a physics case that can be used in discussion with the different laboratories. It should be ready in March,2018. It will have an executive summary that can be used for the ESFRI roadmap application. It was decided to add one more member to this group, if possible from Italy. It was decided to ask Angela Bracco to join the writing group.
• ALTO will join the Eurisol DF initiative through GANIL (There will still be a single French representative)
• Town meeting Pisa. It was proposed to use the topics suggested by Gerda Neyens in her concluding remarks at Lisbon as possible topics for the meeting in Pisa.

3. Proceedings of the Lisbon meeting
The speakers were each asked to produce a two-page contribution. LF will collect the contributions. She will also ask the conveners of each topic to add one page/paragraph summarising what was discussed. LF will write an introduction to the proceedings. B. R. will put the documents together and add a cover. BR will ask Christoph Scheidenberger whether he can provide the finance for printing the copies. The estimated price will be 2 k€. If his answer is positive, she will take care of the printing and the distribution.

4. The Pisa Town meeting.
The format of the Pisa meeting is the following: One day of technological development carried out in the framework of the JRA (responsible Yorick Blumenfeld), half a day political/strategic/committee discussions. One day physics.

The very preliminary webpage can be seen here

https://agenda.infn.it/conferenceDisplay.py?confId=14402

The following scenario is proposed.
• On the Technical developments day, there will also be discussion of instrumentation for Eurisol DF. There will be a call for ideas for Instrumentation that can be moved and used at more than one Eurisol DF facility. This has to be agreed by Y. Blumenfeld.
• To be discussed on the day devoted to physics:
(a) Theory of the r-process. An effort will be made to invite Almudena Arcones or Gabriel Martinez Pinedo. This is particularly appropriate considering the VIRGO situation, very close to Pisa.
(b) Reactions with light nuclei
(c) Fundamental interaction studies
(d) 78Ni region
(e) Shape isomers in Z=50 and Z=82 regions
(f) N near Z nuclei
Points (b) to (f) should include theory and experiments

4. Renewal of the UEC chair for one year.

BR was renewed for one year. In discussion, it was thought that one year is too short to occupy such a position. Her mandate for one year was an exception since in the Charter it is said that that the chair and vice-chair should be elected for two years with the possibility of renewal for a second term only. She said she can commit herself for only one more year.

Link to the Charter:

http://www.eurisol.org/usergroup/?page_id=153

5. Web page. The web page was organised some time ago as a joint effort by Pisa and Legnaro. The documents can be uploaded but the repository now is located at different places, mainly in Pisa (personal computer of AB), or at CERN, and now in Valencia. This situation is far from ideal. RR volunteered to take care of the situation. He has some local help and also a storage place where to put all the documents. AB will send him all the information. We will hear more at the next meeting.

6. AOB

It would be desirable to have the presentations of the Lisbon meeting accessible as soon as possible. BR will ask LF about this issue in an email at the end of the meeting.

Minutes UEC Meeting Valencia 17 Feb 2017

February 12, 2018 on 6:39 pm | In User Executive Committee | No Comments

Minutes of the meeting of the Eurisol Users Executive Committee at IFIC
Valencia February the 13th 2017

9.00 to 15.00-17.00

Participants:
Didier Beaumel
Maria Borge
Adam Maj
Iain Moore
Berta Rubio
Haik Simon
Yorick Blumenfeld (observer)
Connected remotely: (unfortunately the connection didn’t have the desired quality)
Lidia Ferreira
Angela Bonaccorso (observer)
Marek Lewitowicz (only for point number1)
Apologies
Giacomo de Angelis
Riccardo Raabe

Agenda

Welcome
1 Eurisol DF and the EU application to the ESFRI list (Marek Lewitowicz).

2 Eurisol UG and Eurisol DF Steering Committee relationship (Introduction by BR).

3 The JRA activities (Yorick Blumenfeld)

4 Eurisol and NUSPRASEN (Introduction Angela Bonaccorso).
Travelling and other possible expenses.

5 Eurisol and the NUPECC roadmap Town Meeting (Introduction Maria Borge)

6 The Users Group and the updating of the Eurisol mailing list.

7 Eurisol UG activities in general: Topical Meetings, the Pisa Conference…
Minutes
1. Marek Lewitowicz was invited to make a presentation on Eurisol DF and the EU application to the ESFRI list, this was followed by a short discussion. The slides are attached to these minutes. They include the definition of Eurisol DF, the organization and its goals, the Leuven Conference, the working groups and the plans for applications to the ESFRI list (writing committee- Marek Lewitowicz, Yorick Blumenfeld and Berta Rubio). It was the wish of ML and the members of the Eurisol UEC agreed that there will be fluent communication between the Eurisol DF Executive Committee and the Eurisol UEC. This includes the exchange of minutes.
Marek’s presentation was followed by a discussion among the committee members and observers. It was agreed that Eurisol DF is a good move in the short to medium term in order to maintain the momentum of the Eurisol project towards the ultimate goal, namely to construct a large, high intensity ISOL facility.
It was followed by a discussion on how the proposed Eurisol DF might work in practice in terms of experimental proposals being made to the combined “Distributed Facilities” (two at least). Since Spes is somehow in the future this involves mainly Isolde and Spiral2 at present, so it was agreed that one should consider associated members (working facilities) as well (ALTO, COPIN, JYFL).
It was stated that the Isolde collaboration Committee refuses to dedicate a percentage of beamtime to Eurisol DF. The reason is that this could be seen as a back door to get beamtime while scientific excellence should always prevail and this should be judged by the facility itself (their PAC). From the point of view of the users, which we represent, it was thought that asking the proposer to present the same proposal to two different committees was not an acceptable solution.
One possible solution would be to have a common Eurisol DF PAC containing 3 members of the main facilities and 1 member of the associated members. This would include the chair in each case. The approved experiments will then be presented at the individual facilities by the experts of the Eurisol PAC and ask for endorsement.
2. Berta Rubio reminded the assistants about the new UEC composition and the overlap with previous committee (Lidia Ferreira and Adam Maj), as well as the overlap with the Eurisol DF EC (Maria Borge, Adam Maj, full members, Berta Rubio and Yorick Blumenfeld, observers). Also a record of previous Eurisol topical meetings was presented for later discussions. “The formation and structure of r-process nuclei, between N=50 and 82” Catania 2009.“Neutron deficient exotic nuclei and the Physics of the “proton rich side” of the nuclear chart” Valencia 2011.“Physics of Light Exotic Nuclei”Lisbon 2012.“Going to the limits of mass, temperature, spin and isospin with heavy Radioactive Ion Beams” Krakow 2013.“Innovative Instrumentation for EURISOL”York 2013.
3. Yorick Blumenfeld gave a presentation on ENSAR2 activities in general and on JRA6-Eurisol activities in particular (tasks, Innovative Charge Breeding, development of Chemically reactive beams, chart of radioactive Ion beams in Europe). Slides are attached to these minutes. He also informed the meeting that the Eurisol UEC activities were at first included in JRA6 but this was objected to by the EU with the recommendation to move it to NUSPRASEN which is an ENSAR network on “Nuclear Structure Physics, Reactions, Astrophysics and Superheavy Elements Network ».

4. Angela Bonaccorso then presented the Eurisol UEC activities contemplated in NUSPRASEN. The slides are attached to these minutes. In summary, there are 11.7 k€ in Pisa reserved for the Eurisol Town Meeting in this city in 2018 (organisers Angela Bonaccorso and Adam May) and for Angela Bonaccorso’s related travelling expenses. 18.7 k€ are available at Giessen for other Eurisol users activities which could be spent in 2017-2019, ie, about 6 k€ per year.
It was agreed that this money could be used for other Eurisol workshops or for travelling to the Eurisol UEC meetings when needed, as in the case of Adam Maj on the present occasion (only partial support).
5. The NUPECC roadmap Town Meeting at GSI on 11th-13th of January and the discussion of Eurisol DF there was introduced by Maria Borge. The impression was in general positive but the feeling is that the presence of Eurisol DF is not prominent enough at the present stage of the road map document.
Adam will contact Angela Bracco to include a new bullet in the NUPECC Long Range Plan recommendation to stress the support for the EURISOL-DF initiative.
We should also think about more Eurisol related applications and include them in the corresponding chapter.
6. The Users Group and the updating of the Eurisol mailing list. The present list was already updated by Angela Bonaccorso and Yorick Blumenfeld a couple of years ago. It contains more than 1000 addresses and it has been transferred to IFIC. To refine it further one needs help from the different countries involved. It was decided that the present members of the UEC will take this task on board while for the remaining countries, not covered by the present committee, the names of contact persons were suggested. The final list is as follows:
France , Didier Beaumel,
Switzerland, Maria Borge,
Italy, Giacomo de Angelis,
Portugal, Lidia Ferreira, Portugal,;
Poland, Adam Maj,
Finland, Iain Moore,
Belgium, Riccardo Raabe,
Spain, Berta Rubio,
Germany, Haik Simon,
Sweden, J. Cederkall,
Denmark, K. Riisager,
UK, A. Andreyev,
Romania, Kalin Ur,
Bulgaria D. Balabanski
Hungary, Z. Fülop,
Croatia, Suzana Szilner, (Suzana.Szilner@irb.hr )

Turkey, R.B.Cakirli,
Greece, Nikolas Patronis (npatronis@uoi.gr),
Slovakia, Marti Veselsky (Martin.Veselsky@cern.ch),

Action:- Berta Rubio to write to all these people and send them the present list of mailing addresses in plain text format.
7. The proposed Eurisol DF means a fundamental change to the way the community has operated in the past and naturally brings added value in terms of complementarity in experiments and collaboration among groups with different expertise, shared resources (equipment), among other things.
The UEC thought that the role of the users in making real all these new ideas is very important and it was proposed to hold a Workshop in the Autumn of this year where the community can discuss this in detail, thus ensuring a bottom-up approach to the directors of the facilities involved in Eurisol-DF.
Lidia Ferreira has kindly agreed to organise the meeting in Lisbon with the proposed days being 15th and 16th, November 2017 (meanwhile Lidia has confirmed the availability of the meeting place for these dates). It is proposed to have a Eurisol UEC meeting on the morning of the 15th .
It was also proposed to have in the next Colloque GANIL (October 2017, 15th-20th) co-organised by Yorick Blumenfeld one short session on Eurisol DF with the presentation of the facility, some physics related session and information on the already submitted ESFRI application.
Other decisions
The importance of the applications was mentioned again and the possible need to include an expert in the Eurisol UEC.
We should think about one physics case and one instrumentation presentation for the ESFRI application. The next telephone call was scheduled for the 8th of March at 11.00 to decide on that. With a decision on the topic before the 1st of March. BR will try to organise a telephone conference of better quality for the 8th of March.
It was decided to send an e-mail to all users with the main outcome of this meeting. This was done on Feb 20th.

LIsbon meeting November 15-16 2017

September 12, 2017 on 3:54 pm | In Eurisol user group news, Physics and Instrumentation, User Group | No Comments

At the following link news and details about the new meeting of the EURISOL UG can be found

https://indico.cern.ch/event/648134/

Representative of NUSPRASEN of ENSAR2 within the UEC

November 13, 2016 on 12:52 pm | In Eurisol user group news, User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

The representative of the NUSPRASEN network of ENSAR2 within the UEC (see CHARTER) is Angela Bonaccorso. She is ex-officio member of the UEC without voting rights for the duration of the ENSAR2 contract (four years starting 1st March 2016).

nusprasen

Minutes of the UEC meeting to elect the new chair

November 13, 2016 on 12:35 pm | In Eurisol user group news, User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

Minutes of the meeting held in Leuven on the 19th October 2016, h13:00-14:00.

Present: Didier Beaumel, Maria Borge, Giacomo de Angelis, Lidia Ferreira (via skype), Adam Maj, Iain Moore, Riccardo Raabe, Berta Rubio, Spain (via skype),
Absent: Haik Simon (excused).

The Eurisol User Executive Committee met with the main goal to elect the chair of committee.
It was decided by acclamation that the new chair will be Berta Rubio.
In addition it was decided to have a deputy, who could replace the Chair if she cannot be present. Also by acclamation it was chosen Riccardo Raabe.
It was also decided that the chair (and deputy) term will be one year, extended to another year if the chair will agree to that.

Congratulations to Berta and Riccardo!.

Berta Rubio rubio@ific.uv.es
Riccardo Raabe riccardo.raabe@kuleuven.be

UEC ELECTIONS 2016

June 21, 2016 on 6:00 pm | In Eurisol user group news, User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

The elections of the new UEC have run smoothly from 10th to 20th June 2016 and there were 193 voters.

The candidates were:

Rosa Alba, Italy;
Andrei Andreyev, UK;
Didier Beaumel, France;
José Benlliure, Spain;
Maria Borge, CERN;
Emmanuel Clement, France;
Giacomo de Angelis, Italy;
Lidia Ferreira, Portugal;
Angela Gargano, Italy;
Adam Maj, Poland;
Iain Moore, Finland;
Riccardo Raabe, Belgium;
Peter Reiter, Germany;
Berta Rubio, Spain;
Haik Simon, Germany;
Emanuele Vardaci, Italy;
Robert Wadsworth, UK.

The nine new elected members are (in alphabetic order):

Didier Beaumel, France;
Maria Borge, CERN;
Giacomo de Angelis, Italy;
Lidia Ferreira, Portugal;
Adam Maj, Poland;
Iain Moore, Finland;
Riccardo Raabe, Belgium;
Berta Rubio, Spain;
Haik Simon, Germany.

We wish them all the best for their future work. We thank the other colleagues who accepted to stand in the elections and hope they will continue to support the EURISOL project. Thanks in particular to those among the USERS, who participated in the vote.

The new UEC will meet in Autumn, elect the new Chair and the future activities will be posted on this webpage.

We thank all of you who in the past ten years, have participated in the EURISOL UEC activities, organized Topical Meetings and helped writing the reports. All relevant information and documents can be found on this webpage.

The members of the former UEC:
Dieter Ackermann, Bertram Blank, Lidia Ferreira, Hans Fymbo, Ari Jokinen, Marek Lewitowicz, Adam Maj, Paddy Regan, Angela Bonaccorso.

Minutes of the UEC meeting Friday 6th May 2016 h 10:00-11:30

June 13, 2016 on 5:36 pm | In Eurisol user group news, User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

Present (all by Skype): Dieter Ackermann, Bertram Blank, Angela Bonaccorso, Lidia Ferreira, Ari Jokinen, Marek Lewitowicz. Excused: Hans Fynbo, Adam Maj, Paddy Regan.

Agenda: Elections of a new UEC.

The last elections took place on July 2010. New elections should have taken place during the summer 2012 but were postponed because of the Lisbon and Krakow topical meeting organization, October 2012 and July 2013 respectively and then the proximity with the end of the ENSAR contract and the need to write the final report (deliverable of the project April 2014).

After the beginning of the ENSAR2 contract (March 2016) it is decided to held new elections.

Members elected last time (18 July 2010) were Lidia Ferreira, Hans Fynbo, Adam Maj, Paddy Regan. Lidia Ferreira and Adam Maj have agreed on being candidates again to ensure some continuity.

Names of possible new candidates are proposed and the members decide to contact them informally while a message will be sent to the EURISOL UG mailing list to call for candidatures.

ADDENDUM to the minutes.

An AMENDMENT to the CHARTER is proposed by Y.Blumenfeld and C. Scheidenberger on 12th May 2016:? “A representative of the NUSPRASEN network of ENSAR2 is ex-officio member of the UEC without voting rights for the duration of the ENSAR2 contract.”

with the justification that

“The EURISOL User Group activities will be integrated into the activities of the NUSPRASEN network of ENSAR2. This will allow (partial) funding of the UEC activities through ENSAR2. It is therefore important that close interaction be maintained between the UEC and NUSPRASEN.”

Approved on 19th May 2016 by two thirds of the UEC: D. Ackermann, B. Blank, A. Bonaccorso, L. Ferreira, M. Lewitowicz, A. Maj.

H. Fymbo, A. Jokinen, P. Regan, abstained.

Final report of the Physics&Instrumentation task of EURISOL-NET

January 19, 2015 on 7:49 pm | In Eurisol user group news, Physics and Instrumentation, User Group | No Comments

The final report of the Physics&Instrumentation task of EURISOL-NET is now available at http://www.df.unipi.it/~angela/final_report_eurisol_2015.pdf

Report of the 5th Eurisol User Group Topical Meeting, July 15-17, 2014.

October 30, 2014 on 5:25 pm | In Conferences, Eurisol user group news, Physics and Instrumentation, User Executive Committee, User Group | No Comments

The 5th Eurisol User Group Topical Meeting, on “Innovative Instrumentation for EURISOL”, was held at The Ron Cooke Hub, Heslington East Campus, University of York, York, UK, 15-17 July 2014. The report is now available at http://www.df.unipi.it/~angela/York_toppage.pdf

The slides of the talks are also available at http://www.df.unipi.it/~angela/York_jul14.zip.

Next Page »

Unaable to connnect to MySQL